Auto Insurance in Hamilton
There is no better time to shop around than now! Insurance rates change every few months, the company that was best in Hamilton last year may not be today. Shop around for the best current car insurance rate!
What is required by Law?
Mandatory Auto Insurance Coverage in Hamilton, ON
In Hamilton, you must have an auto insurance policy in force to drive. Fines for not having valid insurance in Hamilton can be up to $5,000. The following coverages are mandatory at all times:
How do rates compare to other cities?
Car Insurance Rates in Hamilton
Hamilton is currently the third largest population in Ontario, right after Toronto and Ottawa with a population of over 721,000 people! Just like any major city, auto insurance rates usually increase with population.
With so many winding roads and with the Niagara escarpment running through the city, sometimes driving may be challenging. When in Downtown Hamilton, there are many confusing one way streets so the driver needs to constantly be alert.
How Much Does Hamilton Auto Insurance Cost?
As mentioned earlier, Hamilton is a very dense city which means auto insurance rates will not be low. They are definitely much better if you are moving from Toronto or the GTA, but not as good as cities like Cambridge where the population is much lower.
There is no exact answer to how much someone’s insurance rate will cost until an actual quote is made. Every individual will have different driving records, postal code, vehicle etc.. The only accurate way to determine how much the car insurance price will be is to collect all this information and get quotes from all the auto insurance companies.
This may sound like a long and daunting process, but a quote can take as little as 5 minutes!
How to reduce insurance rates without loosing coverage
One thing worth mentioning is that price shouldn’t be your primary aim. It’s very important, however coverage should be paramount. That said, lets get into how you can keep your insurance premium as close to 0 as possible!
1. Make sure you pay for your current policy and try to have as little NSF’s as possible. Most insurance companies cancel you for non-payment after you have 3 NSF’s in a policy term. Once you are cancelled for non-pay, your next auto insurance policy can be double the price and many companies may not accept you. A cancellation for non-pay stays on your insurance record for 3 years!
2. Combine your auto insurance policy with a property for the largest discount. When you shift your Hamilton home insurance over to the same insurer as you auto policy, you may qualify for a discount up to 20%!
3. Be loyal! Sometimes it may seem difficult when your insurance company raises your premium every year, but try to stick with one company for at least 3 years because the next time you shop around, the new companies will see that you are loyal and can off a “new business loyalty discount”.
4. The most important tip of all is to simply drive safely. Be a defensive driver, do not get into accidents and try to collect no tickets. This will help keep your rates under control.
Why Your Current Hamilton Auto Insurance Is High
Many different factors affect your auto insurance rate in Hamilton, but these three have the most weight and are likely the reason your rate is higher than your friends!
The address is the biggest factor that will affect your auto insurance. Different parts of Hamilton will have different rates.
If you have an at-fault accident on your record, expect your insurance rate to be high. At-fault claims are rated for six years.
Your vehicle will have an impact on your car insurance price. New, expensive vehicles will cost more to repair and can increase insurance rates.
Best Ways to Save on your Hamilton Car Insurance
Hamilton auto insurance rates are rising every year. Now more than ever is a great time to shop around!
Below you will find three more ways on how you can save some money on your Hamilton car insurance.
Get the Best Auto Insurance rates in Hamilton!
Shop the largest and most trusted auto insurance companies in Canada!
How to reduce your rate
Hamilton Auto Insurance Tips and Discounts!
Known for it’s beautiful waterfalls, trails and parks, Hamilton is a great place to live. Close enough to the city but surrounded by nature. If you love to drive, Hamilton has some stunning roads to cruise on.
In Hamilton, living without a car can be tough. The transit system isn’t that great making a vehicle a necessity.
Here are a few discounts to help reduce your auto insurance rates even more:
- Winter tire discount
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Telematics enrolment discount
- Drivers training discount
- Home and car discount
- Pleasure usage
Along with all those discounts, here are a few extra tips to help keep you auto insurance premiums as low as possible.
- Collision and comprehensive coverage are not mandatory. If you have an older car, consider insuring it just one-way to help save on insurance costs.
- If you do not own a home or condo, you can consider getting tenant insurance to qualify for the home and auto discount.
- Increase your deductible. If you are confident in your driving ability, you should consider increasing your deductible because that will decrease your insurance rate.
Commercial Auto Insurance in Hamilton
Can be very affordable!
Is your car used for business?
Hamilton Commercial Auto Insurance
Do you use your vehicle for commercial purposes? Are you a contractor with tools in your F150? Are you an electrician who travels to client homes? Do you have a cargo van which you use to deliver products?
If any of the questions above apply to you, you will require a commercial auto insurance policy. A standard auto insurance policy will not cover commercial usage and you risk being cancelled for misrepresentation. One of the most common mistakes new business owners make is insuring their commercial vehicles personally. Many people believe it is not a big deal, however this is untrue.
If you are unsure of your vehicle usage, contact an insurance professional and explain your situation.
Commercial Auto Insurance Questions
Hamilton Commercial Auto Questions
Does commercial auto insurance in Hamilton cost more than Personal insurance?
The answer to this may surprise you…the average commercial auto insurance policy in Hamilton is actually lower than personal auto insurance rates. There can be many reasons for this but one that stands out is the amount of accidents that personal auto insurance experiences. As long as commercial auto drivers can stay away from accidents, everyone will have lower rates!
How Do you get a commercial auto insurance quote?
Getting a commercial auto insurance quote is a little different than a personal auto quote. The main difference is the vehicles usage. The insurance company will want to know what you use the vehicle for. Are you a general contractor? A delivery driver? Based on your usage, the quote will change.
Once the vehicle usage is established, the quote process will be very similar to a personal auto insurance quote.
What are some examples of business that may require commercial auto insurance in Hamilton?
Find more Great auto insurance rates
We have been providing auto insurance quotes across the entire province. Are you looking to move away from Hamilton? Get the best auto insurance quote in your city! View our service areas below!